Protein, which is made of a number of amino acids (the building blocks of life), is an essential component of life. Everyone must ensure they have an adequate supply of this nutrient. However protein cannot maintain a healthy body alone. It is therefore just one of the main ingredients of our diet – the others being fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and roughage, which all work synthetically to ensure a balanced human metabolic system. Thus consuming whey protein is an excellent way of ensuring the adequate intake of protein while minimizing fats that are normally associated with an animal-based diet.
Whey protein is the protein extracted from “whey” the liquid residue leftover from milk during the production of cheese.
Depending on the processing method employed whey protein is offered in three forms –
• Whey protein concentrate
• Whey protein isolate
• Pre-digested whey protein hydro lysate
Whey protein maybe manufactured in either an undenatured or a denatured way. The undenatured state is achieved when on processing the basic structure and sequence of the original protein is retained, undisrupted, which results in a highly bio-available protein, which can be absorbed 100% by the human digestive system.
The Health Benefits of Whey Protein Include:
• Help build soft tissue muscles, etc and assists in recovery of exercise stressed muscles.
• Contains the building blocks of glutathione – glutamic, cysteine and glycine (see Chapter D9: The Health Benefits of Glutathione).
• Enhances natural immunity
• Assists in insulin sensitivity
• Whey protein is an extremely easy way to consume proteins. Just simply mix whey protein powder to drinks, yoghurt or spread over salads or mixed grains. When overworked, physically stressed or facing a hectic working day, a quick drink of whey protein can provide a protective boost.
• However protein alone cannot substitute for a healthy, nutritionally balanced diet. Hence whey protein should be regarded simply as a convenient supplement to your normal nutritionally packed diet.
• Whey protein in its powdered form, which does not need refrigeration, makes it an excellent protein supplement to carry while travelling.